Sunday 7 July 2013

The All Island Count 2013

This year I only had to count the Cliff Auks, Fulmar, Shags and Kittiwakes. It's my favourite task of the year trying to locate and count all those birds.

I count every bird individually from on top of the cliffs with nothing but a clicker and a pair of binoculars.

This year I counted the birds slightly differently to last. Due their lateness getting down to nest, I have only just completed the kittiwakes count.

We only census the Eiders and Gulls every other year and will be doing it again next year.


How many birds did I count this year? I will not speculate why numbers are as they are this year. This would be stealing the researchers thunder.

 

Fulmars - 218 occupied sites - down 25%


Shags - 201 active nests - down 64%


Kittewakes 1712 active nests - down 37%


Guillemots 13395 pairs - down 5%


Razorbills 2876 pairs - down 6%

No comments:

Post a Comment